Fourteen-year-old Nick has learned that the strange antiques in his attic bedroom were left there by the eccentric inventor Nikola Tesla. They are pieces of Tesla's Far Range Energy Emitter, capable of transmitting "free energy" to the globe. Some components of the contraption are still missing, but the objects themselves seem to be leading Nick and his friends to their current owners.
However, members of the Accelerati, a menacing secret society of physicists, are on the hunt too, and their brazen leader, Dr. Alan Jorgenson, will stop at nothing to foil Nick and steal the objects. It takes a dangerous build-up of electromagnetic energy in the atmosphere to reverse everyone's fortunes—and lead Nick to his destiny.
Readers who enjoyed the strange science, quirky humor, and out-of-this-world plot twists in Tesla's Attic will be captivated by this second book in the electrifying Accelerati Trilogy.
Praise for Tesla's Attic
"Lively, intelligent prose elevates this story of teenagers versus mad scientists, the third-person point of view offering a stage to various players in their play of galactic consequence. A wild tale in the spirit of Back to the Future, with a hint of Malamud's The Natural tossed in."— Kirkus Reviews
"This collaboration between Shusterman and Elfman tempers the scarier elements of Nick's quest with deft, humorous writing and plenty of the ordinary adventures of a new kid in school finding his niche. Hand this one to fans of Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles or Kenneth Oppel's Airborne."— Booklist
* "...Shusterman and Elfman have crafted a plot more devious, characters far quirkier, climaxes (yes, there are two) more breathless, and a narration much, much funnier than recent mad-science offerings. Sticking with a third-person narration frees the authors to be as wryly and sophisticatedly witty as they please without compromising the veracity of their middle-school cast, resulting in storytelling as delightful as the story being told."
- Bulletin for the Center for Children's Books (starred review)
Series: The Accelerati Trilogy (2) (Book 2)
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; Reprint edition (January 12, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1423155173
- ISBN-13: 978-1423155171
- Product Dimensions: 5.2 x 0.8 x 7.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 12.6 ounces